With freezing temperatures sweeping South Jersey and the entire Atlantic and Cape May Counties it’s no surprise that many of us are dealing with the issue of frozen pipes. Should a pipe freeze and break in your home or place of business, here’s what you need to do:
- Cut-off the water supply to your home. Locate the water main cut-off valve and have a water key handy before attempting to thaw out frozen pipes. If you don’t have a key (most hardware and home-improvement stores sell them), you can use a pair of locking pliers to rotate the valve a quarter turn. If you don’t know the location of your main water valve, it is usually at the water meter, which is commonly found within a few feet of the curb of your street.
- Relieve any pressure. Open up any faucets connected to frozen pipes before thawing. This will allow water to flow through the pipe and relieve any built-up pressure, reducing the risk of rupture.
- Warm things up. You’ll need to gradually warm the frozen pipe. You can use a warm hair dryer or towels soaked in warm water to thaw frozen pipes that haven’t burst. (Do not use a flame or high-heat source to thaw pipes. It can lead to cracking.) Start from the interior faucet end of the pipe, and work your way toward the colder end of the pipe.
- Check for Leaks. After pipes have thawed, listen for sounds of gushing water. That is your first sign that a pipe has burst. You can also conduct a quick water test to determine if you have any leaks. Turn off the icemaker and discontinue use of any faucets and toilets. Do not run the dishwasher or washing machine. Take a picture of your water meter reading. Wait 15 minutes, check the meter reading and compare. If there’s any movement, you have a leak.
- Contact a professional. If you’ve detected a leak, your best bet is to cut off the main water valve and call Offshore Carpet Cleaning to remove the water help you dry out. Offshore offers 24 hour emergency service and will come to help you immediately. Offshore works with remediation specialists who will help you fix and damage and get the most out of your insurance coverage if needed. Our professional network will make sure you home is restored to it’s former state and limit your out of pocket cost tremendously.
- Or skip steps 1-5 and call Offshore first! Our professional team will help guide you through the process start to finish.
Make Offshore Carpet Cleaning and Property Services your first call. 609-365-8045 or visit out website @ www.offshorepropertyservices.com